Monday, November 10, 2008

Puppy Training - Week 2

Baxter spent his Saturday traveling. We started the day by visiting the vet to get the next round of vaccinations. The vet's office is about 30 miles away. We picked this particular vet, because I went to high school with both docs, and it's close to my parents' house. It gives me an excuse to go see them, since I'm in the area.

When we left the vet's office, Baxter and I stopped by my parents' house, where he met one of his cousins (my sister's dog), Macie. Macie is a two year old white miniture schnauzer, but she is just a bit bigger than Baxter. Macie and Baxter got to run around in the front yard and the driveway. Macie was rather dominant and aggressive at first, but once we went inside I let Baxter play with a few of Macie's toys and he completely ignored her.

After about an hour, we headed off to puppy training at PetSmart. Mike the trainer explained how to sit and stand and how to train a dog to walk on a leash beside you. Baxter did really well during the first half of the training. He mostly sat or laid at my feet. He didn't fall asleep this week. I believe with some training, he should learn to sit and stand on command fairly quickly.

During the second half of the training, he got anxious. We went to a small aisle, dogs were everywhere, and he was just too overwhelmed to walk on the leash like Mike had showed us. Hopefully, with this class, he'll get used to other dogs and he'll get over that anxiety. Hopefully.

Once we got home, Baxter went straight to his cage and passed out.

2 comments:

i said...

Hello Baxter! Welcome to DWB! It's really nice to meet you. You are adorable!

Thor and Jack said...

Nice to meet you, Baxter! I found you on DWB list and wanted to say hi! You are so cute!

Love and licks
Thor

Baxter Beaglier Beagalier Beagle Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Hybrid Puppy Dog Blog Blogspot Beagliers Beagaliers Puppies Information Facts